Welcome

Welcome to Vicarage Quilts - thank you for visiting.

I offer several services: longarm quilting, patchwork and appliqué workshops and small items made to commission. In the past I've also made quilts to commission as well as Church or School banners for Walking Days and permanent display.

Please visit the pages listed on the right hand side to find out more and email me with any queries.

Sunday 13 October 2013

Adventures with my staple gun!



 





I've always used a ironing board for all my patchwork-pressing needs: it didn't really occur to me to do anything else.  Over the summer holidays I acquired a staple gun and had an idea, all in the same week - and now I'm the happy owner of a pressing table, that can double as a cutting table.  I don't know how I managed without it, especially for pressing quilt tops and backings before quilting them - you can see in the last photograph that a width of fabric fits easily.  I used a cheap Ikea table, tin foil, part of an old woollen blanket and cotton furnishing fabric. I tested the cover fabric carefully before using it of course, and it's fine with the heat of the iron. I did give myself staple-gunner's wrist making it, but it was worth it!   It was a real boon at the cushion workshop we did last month too, although I scared the ladies about bondawebbing their appliqués onto it accidetnally, so we had to cover the cover!  Pics of the workshop results coming up soon... 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, we always had ironing tables in the workrooms, you just need a big space for one! You will never want to use an ironing board again, i am jealous!

    ReplyDelete